Property insurance from Allstate® Canada
Your property is more than a possession. It's your home, where you relax, spend time with your family and escape from the everyday hustle and bustle. That's why you need property insurance to protect it. We know that when it comes to insurance, a one-size-fits-all policy doesn't always cut it. So that’s why we created Your Choice Home® insurance to give you personalized protection for your unique needs. You'll have the freedom to design the policy that's right for you. You'll also have 24/7 access to our dedicated claims team and a number of bundle options to help you save. It all adds up to peace of mind knowing Allstate is there to make sure you and your property are in Good Hands®.
Want to add auto insurance? Find out how you can save by combining your home and auto insurance with Allstate.
What does property insurance cover?
Allstate offers a range of different insurance options so you can find the right one for your unique needs. Choose from:
- Homeowner: covers your home and other structures on your property; legal liability to other people and their property; living expenses if your home is being repaired; and perils such as explosion, fire, vandalism, theft and water damage.
- Condo: covers your personal belongings. Also covers parts of your unit that aren’t covered by the condo cooperation’s (syndicate in Quebec) insurance. Coverage also includes liability if you unintentionally cause property damage or bodily injury to others.
- Tenant: provides coverage for liability and your valuable possessions such as furniture, electronics and jewelry in case of perils like theft, fire and smoke, water damage, vandalism and falling objects.
- Rental and Seasonal Property: covers your seasonal dwelling and its contents in case of fire, theft, water damage and falling objects. Also extends your legal liability coverage from your home, tenant or condo policy to your seasonal property.
- Personalized Options: add-ons to cover the gear you need to pursue your passions. Choose from coverage for game and fishing, golf, skiing and snowboarding or yard and garden. You can also get coverage for students living away from home. We even offer coverage to protect you in case of identity theft.
What affects your property insurance premium?
Choosing the right policy for you is partly about getting value for money. Your Choice Home® coverage lets you choose the features that work for you. You're automatically eligible for Disappearing Deductible, which reduces your deductible every term you go without claiming*. And there’s more! Claim Forgiveness guarantees your premium won’t go up because of a claim** (not available on seasonal and rental properties).
A few other things to think about that affect your rates:
- Replacement cost: the cost for repairs is based on the size and composition of your home and its contents.
- Where you live: the likelihood of your house being a target of theft or damaged because of perils like vandalism or earthquakes.
- Proximity to a water source: are you near a fire hydrant or fire station?
- Heating: forced-air gas furnaces or electric heat are preferred. Oil tanks and wood stoves can cause fires, carbon monoxide poisoning and other hazards.
- Electricity: breakers, fuses and the type of wiring can affect your risk for perils like fire and explosion.
- Pipes: older plumbing (galvanized or lead piping) is more likely to crack or leak.
- Other factors that impact rates: features like a monitored security system, fire alarms and additional structures on your property.